Sjögren’s Syndrome reduces mouth salivary flow from moisture producing glands in the mouth, called salivary glands. The salivary glands are in the bottom of the mouth, roof of the mouth, underneath the tongue and inside the lips. The immune system attacks the salivary glands and reduces or eliminates the moisture of the mouth, causes chronic fatigue, dry eyes, dry vagina, and chronic pain.
There are two prescription medications that can stimulate saliva production and moisture for your mouth, pilocarpine and cevimeline. Here is a review of pilocarpine:
– Pilocarpine (Salagen) – Increases mouth comfort in chewing food, swallowing food, speaking, singing, songs, playing musical instruments, and general use of the mouth for life. Reduces the need for using hard candy, liquids, and saliva substitutes. Comes in a tablet form that is derived from American tropical shrubs. It can be taken 3 – 4 times per day. Pilocarprine stimulates saliva for your mouth.
– Pilocarpine increases mouth moisture and helps prevent dental diseases such as cavities and periodontal disease. Review the interactions with other medications such as high blood pressure, lung diseases, urinary tract, Parkinson’s, irritable bowel syndrome, gall bladder disease, heart disease, liver disease, or mental illness, etc.
– According to the National Institutes of Health, there are many side effects of taking pilocarpine such as:
- runny nose
- frequent urination
- stomach pain
- swelling of the arms, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- decreased fertility for men and women
- interactions with pregnancy
- interactions with breastfeeding
If you are having any dental surgery, inform your dentist that you are TAKING PILOCARPINE. If you are considering replacing your missing teeth or painful dentures, we have developed a great method for patients with Sjögren’s Syndrome and dry mouth. The 3 Minute Implant™ can greatly improve quality of life for the Sjögren’s Syndrome and dry mouth patient”, says Dr. Joseph Kravitz, Rockville, Maryland dentist.
No more irritating sandpaper-like dentures. No more painful dark cavities. The 3 Minute Implant™ can restore your smile in one visit. With proper planning and preparation, we can renew your quality of life. Better chewing. Better speaking. Better communication with others.
If you have dental health questions and need help, feel free check us out here. There is hope. There is help. With kindness. With love.
If you have any questions about Sjögren’s, or anything else related to dental health, make a reservation at: http://www.dentalimplants.us/contact or call me at 301.761.4840